Over the past 10 years or so I have had the incredible experience of finding leadership. I have led people through both mundane and extraordinary circumstances.
I have learned from and been inspired by other great leaders either through their books or through personal interactions (Check out my reading list). And I have observed regular and consistent examples of cause and effect that have caught my attention.
My goal in this leadership series, is to give you a first-hand, personal look at my own path to finding leadership, and to help you find it as well.
Leadership Topics I’ll Cover
For this series of blog posts, I am going to candidly share some of the things I’ve learned about leadership through the following topics:
- Leadership is not Management
- How to Move Up
- Make a Decision
- You Aren’t Smart Enough
- Oops! I Did it Again, How to Avoid Bad Counsel
- Leadership is a Trait not a Trade
- How to be a Fearless Leader
- Dealing with Difficult People
- Leaders are Always Learning
- Leader, Your Faith Matters!
- An IT Leaders Must Read – The Phoenix Project
- Status Quo is Too Risky to Change
- Develop Your Intellect
- Hiring Contractors
- Hiring When You Don’t Have Time
- Developing a Leadership Paradigm
- Having Tough Conversations
- Influencing Team Emotions
- Making Good Decisions
- Loving People
- Managing Contention
- Getting Away, to Think
- Avoiding Burn-out
- Getting Ready for the next level
- Insecure Leadership
- Being Available, But Not Desperate
- Clear Communication
- The Value of Lunch
- Empowerment vs Abandonment
- French and Raven’s Sources of Power Study
- Responding With Kindness
- Why Faith Matters
- When Good People Leave
- What Poor Leadership Looks Like
- Guiding Books
- My Sherpas
- Getting Feedback
- Handing Out Credit
- Hierarchy – We Have it Wrong
- Clarifying Ambiguity
- My DiSC Style
- Money Matters
- Maintaining a 40 Hour Work Week
When does the Finding Leadership Series Begin?
I will be writing about each of these topics weekly/bi-weekly, with the first one, “People Leadership vs. People Management” being published next week. I chose to begin with this topic because I think a lot of people consider leadership and management the same thing, and they are not.
I will not be going through this list in order. In fact, if one or more of the topics above seem interesting to you, please comment and I will write those blog posts first. If you think something is missing in the list above, or If you have a question about a specific topic let me know in the comments below.
Lastly, I would love to connect with you on LinkedIn. That’s typically where I post updates to my blog and where you can find more about my professional experience. You can view my profile, here.
See you next week,